PGG enjoyed the beautiful weather and three garden visits in East Anglia on July 4th.
The Georgian built Ousden House, former coach house and stables for Ousden Hall, which was demolished in 1954. Twenty years later Arabella Lennox Boyd was employed to design the main borders and rose garden. It now includes additional herbaceous borders, a vegetable garden, a double crinkle-crankle yew hedge, moat garden, woodland and lake, all set in a lovely landscape.
Included within the day was a visit to the wonderful Elizabethan Kirtling Towers, set off by a beautiful blue sky, and the part 18th century/part Tudor Denston Hall. Kirtling Towers formal gardens of 10 acres include a long iris walk, with a circular secret garden hedged with copper beech and with blue and white herbaceous underplanting, and the Victorian garden, designed by Penelope Hobhouse, which has roses and peonies.
Denston Hall’s gardens included blocks of viburnum, abelia and euonymus, contained by tiers of box, leading onto a south-facing terrace. A lawn and richly-planted moat separates the house from the walled garden, which was originally designed by Mark Rumary and later modified by Xa Tollemache. About a third of the space is an immaculate fruit, vegetable and cutting garden, the borders contained by box or step-over apples, the south-facing wall sheltering vines and figs. A very fine day out for PGG Members.